Studio Z Architecture (www.studiozarch.com), an award-winning, nationally-recognized residential architecture firm based between Ann Arbor and Detroit, Michigan, is looking for a part-time to full-time designer or licensed architect to perform all phases of residential architectural work including programming, master planning, designing, developing construction documents, bidding and contract negotiation, and construction observation and administration. The successful candidate will be involved in new home designs, additions, and interior renovations from the earliest stages through completion. Our goal is to understand our clients’ needs and to produce functional, sustainable, and aesthetically-pleasing designs within the client’s budget and timeframe.
- Document existing structures and produce detailed as-builts, including structure, mechanical system, utilities, etc.
- Develop ideas keeping in mind client’s needs, structure, massing, aesthetics, etc.
- Produce detailed construction documents and make any necessary corrections
- Work with structural, mechanical, lighting, and other consultants as required for project support
- Compile project specifications
- Make site visits to check and report on project status
- Cooperate and liaise with construction professionals to resolve any problems that come up during construction
- Manage clients’ expectations regarding budgets, timeframes, and the design and construction process
- Establish and maintain good relationships with clients and other team members
- Work within budgets and timeframes as set by the client and by Studio Z
- 3 – 5 years’ experience working in residential architectural design
- Strong portfolio to prove design and construction document skills
- Expert knowledge of wood frame construction techniques and details, building products, and relevant building codes and zoning regulations
- Thorough understanding of standard residential dimensions for kitchens, bathrooms, etc.
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD/AutoCAD LT
- Knowledge of SketchUp, Revit, Chief Architect or similar 3D/BIM software
- Strong imagination and the ability to think and create in three dimensions
- Excellent drawing, writing, and oral communication skills
- Interest in continuing to learn and develop abilities
- Understanding of business aspects of architecture, or willingness to learn
- Flexible work schedule
- BArch degree (minimum), on track to architectural licensure (preferred)
Send resume, salary requirements, and electronic portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org. Submissions without a portfolio will not be considered. No phone calls, please. Please limit submission size to less than 10 MB. The candidate must be legally eligible to work in the United States.